Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chile Rellenos

I love chile rellenos, and have made this recipe once or twice before. The recipe is my own version after looking at a few different versions online.

Ingredients:
4 Poblano peppers
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded chicken
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin

1/3 cup blue corn meal
1/2 cup milk
3 egg whites
vegetable oil


First you need to prep the chiles.  I use the flame on my burner to char the skins.  You could also use a grill or even your broiler.  After they are nice and black put them in a ziploc baggie and let them steam for a good 15-20 minutes.  I like to rub the skins off while they are still in the bag.  Then rinse them off, make a tiny slit on side and remove the seeds from the inside.

 
Mix the first half of ingredients together.  Stuff about 2 tbps into the pepper through the small slit and then close it up with a toothpick. 
 
Beat the 3 egg whites until soft peaks form, and then add the corn meal and milk to make a wet batter.  Heat your vegetable in medium pot.  Carefully dip you chile into the wet batter and drop into the frying oil.  Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes.  Remove from oil onto paper towels. 
 

 
I made a little tomato and onion sauce to have with it and they were delish!
 
The verdict:  I of course loved my creation.  I wish now that I had a good camera so I could capture my food creations.  My point and click just can not get a good pic of a close object.  Michael:  like the chile ate most of it.  The boys:  Actually liked the cheesy, chicken flavor they were wary of the chile but took a few bites anyway.  Avery:  Still refuses to eat most dinners and eats cheese sticks instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment